Although it is primarily known for its multitude of whales from June to November, there is much to keep one entertained during the summer months. With stunning beaches, some of the best estuary fishing in the country, the Langeberg Mountains providing a beautiful backdrop and an unhurried peaceful ambiance, Witsand is well worth a visit.
Land-based whale watching from July to November. See up to 70 whales in the Bay at one time. Whale statistics have earned Witsand the title of "THE Whale Nursery of South Africa".
Counts over the years are as follows:
- 1998 - Total 47, 18 calves;
- 1999 - Total 100, 47 calves;
- 2000 - Total 78, 33 calves;
- 2001 - Total 117, 37 calves;
- 2002 - Total 117, 49 calves;
- 2003 - Total 130, 51 calves;
- 2004 - Total 121, 43 calves;
- 2005 - Total 131, 56 calves;
- 2006 - Total 141, 69 calves;
- 2007 - Total 98, 41 calves;
- 2008 - Total 162, 62 calves;
- 2009 - Total 75, 35 calves;
- 2010 - Total 85, 40 calves;
- 2011 - Total 124, 49 calves;
''THE WHALE INDUNA'' video was filmed in Witsand. With stunning footage of the whales, this makes a wonderful souvenir. Barry's are the distributors of the video and will gladly post you a copy once payment has been received. (Phone (028) 537 1717).
This is the widest river estuary in SA and reputedly has some the best estuary fishing in South Africa.
- River cruises up to the Bush Pub or Malgas with "Capt DUDE".
- The river boasts an abundance of birdlife and is home of the Big Cob.
- Pansy snorkeling is done over the sand banks before low tide.
- Kite Boarding - wind pumps in summer in the afternoons.
- Canoeing - great expanse of water at your fingertips, a tricky challenge on windy days.
- Ostrich farms - visit a working free range ostrich farm.
- Quadbiking - over the dunes, between the fynbos and milkwoods.
- Cycling routes - safe tarred roads or the mountain biking option on good gravel roads through beautiful scenic farmlands.
- 4x4 Trails - great tracks to enjoy with your family. Stunning views of whales in season.
- De Hoop nature reserve just over an hours' drive away and well worth a visit
- Puntjie Walk: - ± 15 km.
- Moodies Well Walk: - 8 or 12 km.
- Moddergat Walk: - ± 4 km.
- Skuitbaai Walk: - ± 3 km.
- Infanta Walk: - ± 5 km
On other side of Breede River.
- Breede River Mouth Walk: - ± 6km.
- River View Walk - ± 2.5 km
Hiking in the Witsand nature reserve.
- Barry Memorial Church - Port Beaufort built in 1859 by the Barry family.
- Meerlust - a wonderful example of the architecture of yesteryear.
- Woolshed - the first wool shed built in SA.
- 'The Kraaltjie' - harbour built by the Barry family in the 18th century.
"Vondeling" children's choir is made up of children attending the small farm school near Witsand/ Port Beaufort. They have been blessed with beautiful voices and love singing and playing the recorder. They are available to sing to tourists during the school term, between 9 and 12 daily by prior arrangement.
One on the beach, one on the river, and one in the dunes.